Glen Bickford, APFM
A pastor by training, in 2005 Glen was recruited by MN Supreme Court Head Justice Sandy Keith (who helped establish alternative dispute resolution (ADR) processes in MN) for the MN Early Neutral Evaluation Program. Dr. Peter Steinke of Bridge Builders and Speed Leas, formerly of the Alban Institute, consultants who have worked with hundreds of churches, are mentors.
- Family and Divorce Mediator, Twin Cities Metro and Southern Minnesota 2007-present. About 100 paid cases and others as volunteer Ramsey Co. mediator.
- Parenting Time Expeditor, Parenting Consultant, Custody and Early Neutral Evaluator. Twin Cities, Metro and Southern Minnesota 2007-present. I was recruited for forensic ADR work by MN Supreme Court Chief Justice A.M. “Sandy” Keith at the start of MN 3rd Judicial District ENE Program. I've been on ENE Rosters in 3rd and/or 5th Judicial Districts for 12 years; occasional cases from Wright, Anoka, Carver, and Scott Counties. 100-200 ENE, PC and child custody cases. Many ENE partners; most are attorneys with many years’ experience and two became referees (similar to judges): Referee Gail Baker of the 3rd Judicial District and Referee Sue Chambers, formerly in the 5th District. Several of my ENEs involved extensive time almost equivalent to a full custody evaluation.
- Church Consultant, Interim Pastor, Interim Lead Pastor, Twin Cities Metro, Southern MN, Northwest WI 1997-present. Conflict mediation, suicide, visioning, clergy mental health, substance abuse issues and clergy impropriety.
- Writer Augsburg Fortress Press (now 1517 Media) – Minneapolis, MN, and WorkingPreacher.org, Luther Seminary – St. Paul, MN 2010-present. Daily devotions, articles.
- Term Pastor, Bear Creek Lutheran Church – Grand Meadow, MN 2007-2010.
- Chaplain, (intern and later staff chaplain) Mayo Medical Center – Rochester, MN 1995-1996,1998. Primarily in ER, ICU supporting patients and families mediating and facilitating between these and staff.
- Chaplain (Intern) Alexian Bros. Medical Center, Elk Grove Village, Il 1994-5. Worked extensively in hospice, ER, ICU, attended over 70 deaths.
- Pastor, First Presbyterian, Wilmington, IL 1992-1994. Youth, Families, Conflict, Suicidality.
- Post-Seminary Intern, Sunnyside Presbyterian Church, South Bend, IN 1989-1990. Youth and Families.
Education and Certification
- Negotiating the Complex Case Giuseppe De Palo, Professor of ADR and United Nations Ombudsman, Mitchel Hamline Law School, J term, Winter 2019
- AFCC-MN Child-Focused Parenting Time Guide Updates, Mindy Mitnick, Ph.D. and Thomas Tuft, J.D., Winter 2018
- Stepping Up to Supervision: Supervision Issues for Churches (Evaluation, Conflict etc.), Susan Beaumont, consultant, formerly of Alban Institute, Summer 2108
- AFCC-MN Half Day Conference, ADR Ethics Board Issues, Karen Black, Ph.D. Michael Black J.D., Referee Richard Stebbins, Fall 2017
- AFCC 53rd Annual Conference Full Conference Attendee. 2016 (30+ hours Cont. Ed). Most important seminars listed separately below
- "Effective Interviews with Children" AFCC 53rd Annual Conference, Kyle Pruett MD, Yale Study Center, New Haven, CT 2016
- MN New Best Interest Factors Training Seminars Olmsted, Anoka Counties 2015, AFCC 53rd Annual Conference 2016 from Mindy Mitnick, Ph. D. (who was on the MN panel revising the old factors). Dr. Mitnick also briefly reviewed for issues two of my recent evaluations.
- Advanced Early Neutral Evaluation training MN 5th Judicial District 2015
- Discernment Counseling for Divorce Professionals, Doherty Relationship Inst. St. Paul, MN 2014
- Family 40 Hour Mediation Training (review) Erickson Mediation Institute, Bloomington, MN 2013
- Custody Evaluation Training, MN Assoc. of Custody Evaluation Specialists, including "ride-along" evaluation with Nancy Darcy, Ph.D., 2012
- Elder Mediation Training, Midwest Senior Solutions, St. Paul, MN 2012
- Parenting Consultant Training, Hamline University Andrea Niemi J.D. and Karen Irvin Ph.D., St Paul, MN 2011
- Bridge Builders Facilitator Training, Peter Steinke and Associates, 2011
- Healthy Congregations Facilitator Training, Peter Steinke and Associates, 2011
- New Visions Facilitator Training, Peter Steinke and Associates, 2011
- Early Neutral Evaluation Training, MN 3rd and 5th Judicial Districts 2007, 2011-12
- Many ENE "ride-alongs” with Maryellen Bauman, Jim Goetz, the original early neutral evaluation team in Minnesota. Also observed Referee Richard Stebbins, Psychologist Michael Goldfarb, attorney Dana McKenzie and many others while evaluating.
- Mediation Skills for Church Leaders, Lombard Peace Institute, Lombard, IL 2006
- Qualified Neutral Civil & Family Rosters (Rule 114 MN Gen. Rules of Practice), 2006
- Family Mediation Training, Hamline University, St Paul, MN 2006
- Parenting Time Expediting Training, Hamline University, St Paul, MN 2006
- Civil Mediation Training, CDR Associates, Boulder, CO 2004
- Interim Pastor Certification (training included family systems theory and conflict mediation), Interim Ministry Network, Baltimore, Maryland 1998
- 8 Units Clinical Pastoral Education (1988, 1994-6), ACPE, Decatur, GA (chaplaincy training based on Jungian psychology included basic & crisis counseling skills, Myers-Briggs typology, family systems theory, conflict de-escalation); certifiable hospital chaplain
- University of Notre Dame Ph. D. Program 1989-91 (full scholarship + stipend ‘90-91)
- Yale University Divinity School M. Div. (courses included counseling skills, Two Brothers Fellowship for overseas study) 1989
- University of Wisconsin-Madison BA 1985 (Meteorology)
Thanks! I don’t blog every day but about weekly.