Parenting Consultant & Expediting

Parenting Consultant

My child has a summer birthday. Should he/she start kindergarten as a 5 year old or as a 6 year old?

Asking and answering the tough questions in raising children, especially when you're in a co-parenting situation, requires expertise and perspective.

A Parenting Consultant (PC) is like a Parenting Time Expeditor (or PTE- see PTE page for more information) but a PC has more authority. A Parenting Consultant can do everything a PTE can do but may also arbitrate other issues not addressed by the court if the parties agree. There is no training required to be a parenting consultant other than qualified neutral, but Glen has special training through Hamline Law School, St. Paul, MN to serve as a Parenting Consultant similar to the one in the link. As PC, Glen works at an hourly rate.

Like a PTE, a PC’s decision may be upheld or overturned by the court. Unlike a PTE, a Parenting Consultant’s decision is public and told to the court as well as the parents when a decision is rendered. Parenting Consulting is an alternative dispute resolution process authorized by MN Statute Rule 114.02 (a) (10).

Child Custody Evaluation and Mediation

Parenting Time Expeditor

What is a Parenting Time Expeditor? If parents cannot decide issues like "How long is Thanksgiving with one parent: is it just the meal, the day, or the entire 4 day weekend?" Does it start Wednesday evening before? A Parenting Time Expeditor (PTE) is a neutral person who is assigned to help interpret the divorce decree or other court order with respect to parenting time. A PTE usually does not decide matters not mentioned by divorce decree or court order. The PTE process is laid out in MN Statute 518.1751 here.

The Parenting Time Expeditor may meet with parents together, each parent separately, or may communicate with each parent by phone, letter or electronically in attempt to reach agreement. If parents cannot agree, the PTE may make a decision for the parents. The PTE’s decision stands unless a parent challenges the decision, goes to court and asks the judge to reconsider the decision. A judge may uphold the PTE’s decision or overturn it and clarify the issue in question differently.

The PTE process is usually confidential unless a challenge is made. A PTE may be assigned by the court at the time of divorce, chosen by the parties at the time of divorce or after the fact but generally the judge issues an order binding PTE and parents into the PTE process and may specify the exact issue needing to be decided.

Glen has special training through Hamline Law School, St. Paul, Minnesota in Parenting Time Expedition. As Parenting Time Expeditor he works at an hourly rate. Let us know how we can help you with child custody issues.